Lawrence Ray Weishaar



"The Kansas Cyclone"


Lawrence Ray Weishaar

9. September 1890 - 13. April 1924



In Oklahoma geboren und in Wichita, Kansas aufgewachsen,

begann Ray "Pop" Weishaar 1908 seine Karriere als Rennfahrer.

Bereits 1914 nahm er an nationalen Rennen teil und gewann

das 300 Meilen Rennen in Chicago und ein 100 Meilen Rennen

in Pratt, Kansas. 1916 wurde er Harley-Davidson Werksfahrer.


Ray Weishaar Hung on to his Helmet Four Laps With his Teeth

(Chicago Speedway, September 12, 1915)


"In the 13th lap, however, his helmet became unfastened, Weishaar

hung on to the strings with his teeth for four laps and then threw the

helmet into the pits.


Chairman John L. Donovan of the F.A.M. copetition committee and

Referee Frank E. Yates saw the helmet go into the pits and insisted 

on knowing to whom it beloged. There was considerable dispute for

several laps as a result of their determination to make Weishaar stop

and put on his helmet again.


As Weishaar came around each lap in the lead, those of us who where in

the pits did out best to argue the officials out of their idea of forcing 

Weishaar to make an extra stop but they were determined in their course

and as a result we had to call Weishaar into the pits in the 27th lap. This

undoubtedly cost Weishaar the race."


(The Harley-Davidson Dealer  September 1915) 


Ray Weishaar verunglückte am 13. April 1924, 

auf der Ascot Park Rennbahn in Los Angeles, tödlich.


Ray Weishaar 

October 11, 1919

Sheepshead Bay, N.Y.


50-Mile National Champion 

and Holder of World's Record for that Distance


Time: 32:57 



 Der größte Erfolg seiner Karriere war der Gewinn des 

200-Mile "Cornfield Classic" Road Race 1920 in Marion, Indiana.

Er verbesserte den bisherigen Rekord um 18 Minuten. 


Ray Weishaar "dirt trackin'"

In the crash that proved fatal to Weishaar, he was battling Gene Walker for the lead. 

Johnny Seymour drafted past both Walker and Weishaar, sending Weishaar's bike

 into a high-speed wobble. 

The bike went into a skid and he fought to save it before hitting the outside fence. 

Weishaar went through the wooden fence and was still conscious and not thought to be seriously hurt. 

His wife, Emma, drove him to Los Angeles General Hospital where he died just hours later from 

internal injuries.

Many of the top racers of the day attended Weishaar's funeral. His close friend, Jim Davis, 

was a pall bearer. Weishaar was laid to rest at Inglewood Park Cemetery in California.

The racing community rallied to the aid of Weishaar's surviving wife and six-month-old son 

and paid off the house which the Weishaars were buying.